The language is spoken from Mexico in North Americaall the way to Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama in Central America and in all the South American countries apart from Brazil.
Spain may be a small European nation but it has given the world an undeniable heritage - the Spanish language. The language is spoken from Mexico in North America all the way to Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama in Central America and in all the South American countries apart from Brazil. Thanks to the Spanish Explorers and Conquistadors, the language is the fourth most spoken in the world after English, Chinese Mandarin and French in that order.
Spanish as a language originated from Castile, Spain. It is said to be a romance language and more than 406 million people speak the language as native speakers. An additional 60 million speak it as a secondary language and 20 million are undergoing studies to master the language.
For the tourists that are headed to Spain, Central America or South America, learning a few phrases will come in handy. Below are the most commonly used phrases.
1. Donde esta el baño? - Where is the toilet?
2. Habla usted ingles? - Do you speak English? Trust me; you will get stuck if you can ask for somebody who can speak English.
3. Por favor - Please. They say that 'Gringos' are not polite. Avoid validating this stereotype by saying 'Por favor' every time you are requesting for something.
4. Gracias - Thanks. You will get a lot of good marks among the Spanish speaking people if you show appreciation after something nice has been done for you.
5. Yo no comprendo - I don't understand. Say this phrase every time you do not understand what is being said and they will look for a way to make you understand.
6. Necesito un doctor - I need a doctor.
7. Mi Nombre es... - My name is...
8. Quero una hamburguesa y una cerveza - I'll have a hamburger and a beer. This is 'gringo' food (no pun intended) and will be served in almost every tourist joint. Knowing how to order it is a step in the right direction.
9. Por favor, donde puedo encontrar una parada de taxi? - Excuse me please, where can I get a taxi?
10. Cuanto cuesta? - How much does it cost?
Make sure you learn this and many more phrases...we may yet turn you into a Spanish speaker if you keep at it.
Things we blog about
- All Inclusive
- Awesome Travel Stuff
- Before your trip
- Cultural Exchanges
- Culture & History
- Escorted or Guided Tour
- Local Events
- Outdoor Activities
- Rest & Relaxation
- River or Ocean Cruises
- Sea & Sand
Places we have blogged about
- Africa, Anywhere
- Alaska, Usa
- Alberta, Canada
- Anchorage, Ak, United States
- Andalusia, Spain
- Athens, Esye31, Greece
- Austin, Tx, United States
- Bali, Indonesia
- Banff, 01, Canada
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Barcelona, 56, Spain
- Beijing, China
- Berlin, Germany
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Boston, Ma, United States
- Cairo, Egypt
- Calgary, 01, Canada